With winter around the corner I just love making soup – it is quick, nutritious and cheap and these soup rolls are quick too only 30-40 minutes to make so no need to rise over night or pre-plan you can make these at the same time as your soup and you have a wonderful lunch or tea in less than an hour. I hope you enjoy my Speedy Soup Rolls and Root Vegetable Soup.
First start we on the rolls – PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE
Speedy Soup Rolls
- 1 Cup and 2tbsp warm water.
- 1/3 Cup sunflower oil
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup caster sugar- if you find the sugar too sweet you could add a tbsp of honey
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 Cup bread flour (seems to work better but plain flour will also work)
- Egg for washing
- Sesame seeds ( optional
The How to Bit
- Pre-heat the oven to 230°C/450°F/Gas Mark 8.
- In your mixer bowl combine the water, oil, yeast and sugar and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. You can Start your soup now while it is resting.
- Using your dough hook, mix in the salt, egg and flour.Knead with hook until will incorporated and dough is soft and smooth. (Just a few minutes)
- Form dough into 12 balls and then place in a greased 9 x 13 pan and allow to rest for 10 minutes /15 minutes. I made mine into knots, you do this by rolling your dough into a sausage and folding into knot. Wash with the egg wash and sprinkle on sesame seed if you like them.
- Place into the oven and cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden
Root Vegetable Soup – PRINTABLE RECIPE HERE
- 3/4 Carrots – peeled and cubed
- 1 large chopped onion
- Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Parsnips – peeled and cubed
- 1 turnip – peeled and cubed
- 1 pint of chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to flavour
So while your rolls are rising start on your soup.
- Place your chopped onion in a pot with the Olive oil and cook the onions until soft.
- Add the vegetables and sweat them for a few minutes add the stock and bring to the boil.
- Turn to down to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are soft. Blend the vegetables until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with your warm from the oven rolls.