This Sunday will be taken up with all things in the garden ( weather permitting ) and one of the main jobs is transferring my seedlings into slightly bigger pots. I am trying to make my garden as frugal as possible so I made these cheap and cheerful Seed pots out of toilet roll holders and kitchen roll holders, I have been collecting.
They are so easy to make you can whip up a load in no time – you don’t even have to decorate them I just like things pretty is all. If you keep them plain you can plant them straight into the ground and the cardboard will protect the roots.
How to make Cheap and Cheerful Seed pots
- Toilet roll middles
- A pencil to mark
- A ruler
- Some paper to decorate ( optional )
1. Mark the tubes about an inch and a half from the bottom all the way around.
2.Cut four lines up from the bottom to the mark – to make four tabs.
( as seen below )
3.Fold the tabs down to form the bottom you can tape or glue if you wish but mine stayed just fine.
4. Decorate as you wish it really is that simple – even kids can do it which is great for getting them involved in gardening. Just Fill with seeds and soil and away you go!
Hopefully, all of my seedlings will soon be out in the garden. I have been planning my spacing and plotting where to put them.
Check out my Recycled Seed pots Comparison Chart – Great if you want to do an Environmental project with Kids!
- Plant seeds in each type of pot
- See which seed pots work the best for your seedlings
- Discuss Recycling and why we do it
- and of course grow something!
Click the image for a downloadable/ printable version
- 6 Great Frugal Gardening Tips
- Growing New plants from Scraps
- How to make a Garden Bench (or how to upcycle your Ikea bunks)
- World Naked Gardening day -Bare bones Gardening projects
This Cheap and Cheerful Seed Pot Pin can be saved for later ====>