January is one of those rare times in the garden when gardeners are looking for things to do. We look wistfully out the window at the cold and ice and dream of Spring. But there are things you can do if you are itching to pull on your wellies and gardening gloves. Here are 10 Job you can do in the Organic Vegetable Garden -Early January.
10 Jobs you can do in the Organic Vegetable Garden – Early January
- Why not make a New Year’s resolution to tidy the garden. If it is not too mucky. There’s no time like the present.
- Clear away old crops from the greenhouse, including grow bags, they can harbour hibernating insects and their eggs. Spread the grow bag compost on the soil as a soil conditioner.
- Clean out last year’s pots and wash them with warm soapy water.
- If you have had a fall of snow, gently shake shrub branches, a build-up of snow and ice can cause branches to snap.
- Order your Seed Potato for early crops so you can start chitting them
- Re-firm the roots of any shrubs that may have been lifted by frost. I found this happened with my heathers for some reason.
- Switch outside water taps off at the mains and leave the outside tap open, draining any water, so the pipes don’t freeze.
- Put out feeders for birds, not forgetting fresh water. Encouraging birds into the garden will help reduce the number of insects and slugs.
- Keep an eye on the local weather forecast. Cover shrubs that are likely to be damaged by frost with frost fleece, sacking or an old light blanket.
- Plant Bare-root fruit trees. Check and adjust any stakes on young trees and remove stakes on any trees that have been planted more than 3 years.
I have made a free printable of the above job list for you to print off and keep in your Greenhouse/Shed you can get it HERE
You can Learn more about the Organic Vegetable garden in winter here
- Growing your Organic Greens in Winter
- Winter Feeding the birds in your Garden
- Growing Spinach in Winter
And start planning your new garden for 2018 here – Planning your Organic Vegetable Garden
Sign up today for Snapshot and Snippets Newsletter and get Free Garden printable to help you start your own vegetable garden
If you enjoy this post please share with family and friends