I was going to share my daughters favorite Turkey Burgers with you but I do you think I could find turkey mince anywhere this week or even a bit of turkey to mince? Nope, turkeys are thin on the ground in Cavan it seems. So instead I will share with you, my ever faithful and much loved Fantastic Fish Pie.
This is adapted from an old Jamie Oliver recipe to suit my family and my love for things low fat.
Fantastic Fish Pie
5/6 potatoes peeled and diced – We use Roosters
1lb of Smoked Coley ( you can use a plain white fish if you prefer ) diced
2 handfuls of spinach ( optional)
1 onion – diced small
2 Carrots – diced small
Carton of Low-fat crème Fraiche
2/3 handfuls of low-fat Grated cheddar
approx 1/2 pint of low-fat milk
The How to Bit
1.Pre- heat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 450 F
2. Put the potatoes in a pot of boiling seasoned water and boil until cooked – steam the spinach on a colander on top for the last five minutes.
3. In a separate pot put the chopped fish and the milk and salt and pepper and cook gently for 10- 15 minutes.
4. Fry the onions and carrots in a little oil in a pan for about 5-10 minutes then add the crème Fraiche and a little of the milk from the fish to loosen it up add the cooked fish and the cheese. Add the spinach and place in an ovenproof dish.
5. Drain the Potatoes and mash with either milk or butter if you are feeling frivolous I put a handful of the cheese in here too. Spread on top of the fish you can pipe it if serving it for a dinner party but my lot like this homely and hearty.
Cook in the oven until the potatoes are golden.
Serve with Green Veggies or kids like it with Baked Bean.
If you enjoy this Fantastic fish pie recipe check out these fish recipes below
- Creamy Cod and Leek Cheesy Pots
- Prawn Hoisin Stir Fry with Coconut Rice
- Tasty Mackerel Fish Cakes for Fussy kids
- Gluten-free Salmon and Spinach Lasagna
You can find all my recipes on my new Recipe Page. Or sign up for the Snapshot and Snippets newsletter and get a Free Recipe Ebook with all my recipes from Last year.
THIS IS PINNABLE =====>