One thing I have missed since I moved here to England, besides friends and my Nana ,is Cheese and Onion Hand Pies or Pasties. I love them, so I had to make them myself and they were gorgeous – not as nice as my Nan’s but nothing would be !
Cheese and Onion Hand Pies
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g butter, cut into chunks
- 250g plain flour
- 50ml water or more if needed
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 200g Cheddar Cheese
- 200g Peeled and finely diced potatoes
- One onion – finely chopped
- bit of olive oil
The How to Bit
- In a food processor or a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt and butter. Blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and there are no chunks of butter left.
- Add the egg yolk and just enough water to make a non-sticky dough.
- Wrap and keep in the refrigerate until use or use immediately.
- Place the onion in a pan or skillet with a bit of olive oil and fry .
- Add the potatoes and fry until the onion is translucent
- Mix the potatoes and onions with the cheese in a bowl for the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 F
- Roll out your order flagyl pills pastry and cut into an approx. 4-inch circle, I use a saucer as a guide for mine.
- Spoon a large dollop of the filling into the centre of the circles and fold the pastry over into a semi-circle – crimp the edges with a fork and wash the pastry with an egg wash to give it a nice colour when it cooks.
- Place the pies on a lined tray and cook for 25 – 35 mins or until golden brown