Some days you just need a good, reliable home-made soup to warm the cockles of your heart and fill your belly.
Leek and Potato is one of my favourites, throw in some home-made croutons and you are talking heaven in a bowl.
Leek and Potato Soup
- 450g of potatoes peeled and cut into chucks
- 1 onion chopped - I used red because that is what I had :)
- 450g of chopped leeks using the white parts - save the green for stock making
- 1 litre chicken stock ( I make my own by boiling up the roast chicken carcass with herbs and veg and store it in the freezer in 1 litre bags )
- A carton of cream or if your being good, low fat creme fraiche
- 125ml of milk
- Olive oil/ Butter
- Salt and Pepper for seasoning
The How to1.Put the potatoes, leeks and onion into a saucepan with the olive oil or butter and cook them gently until soft.
2. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil, simmer until the vegetables are cooked should only take 5-10 minutes.
3. Puree vegetables until smooth with a hand- blender then add milk and creme fraiche into the pan and cook gently. Add seasoning to taste.
Serve with Home-made croutons and Chives
- Leftover whole meal or white bread chopped into cubes -I either croûton or crumb the end of loaves to save them and bag them for the freezer that way I always have croutons or breadcrumbs when ever I want.
- 3 tbsp of olive oil or melted butter.
- 1tsp of chopped garlic and a pinch salt and pepper
- Chopped parsley.
The How to1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees C.
2. Mix the olive oil or melted butter with the herbs mix well
3. Toss the croutons in the oil mix and cover thoroughly.
4. Spread onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crispy - store in an airtight container.
FREE PRINTABLE RECIPE
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my kids and I do and thank you for stopping by :)