Cheese and Onion Hand Pies
- 1 egg yolk
- 125g butter, cut into chunks
- 250g plain flour
- 50ml water or more if needed
- 1 good pinch of salt
- 200g Cheddar Cheese
- 200g Peeled and finely diced potatoes
- One onion - finely chopped
- bit of olive oil
The How to Bit
- In a food processor or a large bowl, mix the flour with the salt and butter. Blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and there are no chunks of butter left.
- Add the egg yolk and just enough water to make a non-sticky dough.
- Wrap and keep in the refrigerate until use or use immediately.
- Place the onion in a pan or skillet with a bit of olive oil and fry .
- Add the potatoes and fry until the onion is translucent
- Mix the potatoes and onions with the cheese in a bowl for the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350 F
- Roll out your pastry and cut into an approx. 4-inch circle, I use a saucer as a guide for mine.
- Spoon a large dollop of the filling into the centre of the circles and fold the pastry over into a semi-circle - crimp the edges with a fork and wash the pastry with an egg wash to give it a nice colour when it cooks.
- Place the pies on a lined tray and cook for 25 - 35 mins or until golden brown
I have a Prinable Recipe for you HERE - these Chesse and Onion Hand Pies are great for back to school lunches, you could mix them up by adding ham, bacon, more veggies. or if you have left over pastry you could use left overs like curry or chili to make a spicy hand pie.